Sunday, October 23, 2011

Body Dysmorphia

During some recent studying on body image and eating disorders I came to a conclusion about our society. Most of us are in some way affected with a negative perception of our body image. Sad, but true, our media has made us lose perception of what real beauty is. Also, nutritious food availability is in a serious crisis. In many cases this has led us down a path to an eating disorder. I am one of those people. For those of you that know me may never believe that I have an eating disorder, but when you eat to fulfill an emotion you are not eating for the right reasons. No, I am not anorexic, and I am not bulimic, but I eat to fulfill an emotion and then I feel guilty about my indulgence so I go try to exercise it off. This could be considered to some as the beginning stages of an exercise bulimic. Awareness is half the battle and trying to figure out my trigger behaviors has been helpful for me to eat for the right reason, which is to fill my body with nutrients. So, I have to be careful and remind myself why I eat and why I need to exercise, and do both in a healthy manner.
To become self aware of your own body perception you must begin to view yourself as a beautiful and worthy person on the inside and out. Eliminate negative self talk and replace it with positive. I have had to do silly things such as saying:
"Today I am going to eat fish so that my blood lipids will be happy. I refuse to pollute them with greasy foods. Today I have beautiful blood vessels!"
 I know that may sound laughable and ridiculous, but when you remind yourself of why you eat and why you are worthy and beautiful, you can really start to live a life in which you feel better and treat yourself healthier, emotionally and physically.  Also, in the beginning, I really had to start deep inside, with my blood vessels because I had trouble looking in the mirror and saying nice things about my exterior. Try it, you just may find out that you truly are a beautiful and amazing person! 

No comments:

Post a Comment