Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Gifts from the Heart

As the season began, I ran off to the malls with all my loved ones Christmas wishes in hand.
Boots....check
Jacket....check
Sweatshirt.....check
Underwear.....check
Wait! Underwear? Really? What kind of gift is that?!? Okay, whatever....As the cashier rang up the underwear, the boots, the jacket and the sweatshirt, I walked out of the store having spent over $400. For what? Some materialistic items that might just as well have been lumps of coal. Why? Because they were not from my heart. I love buying gifts for people, so don't get me wrong. But, it felt more like I had just completed my marching orders. These were not thought out. I did not buy them out of love. Sure, it made me feel good to get a gift the others wanted, but it just wasn't sitting well with me this year.

So, it got me thinking.....tap, tap, tap (fingers tapping on my head sound)... uh, oh....Dana is thinking again! For those of you that know me, that doesn't always land me in the best places, but my intentions are always good. This time though, I struck gold! Not to be corny because we have all heard it before, "Christmas is more about giving than receiving". Never had this statement struck me more profoundly.

Finally getting to my point....sigh....the stockings will be hung by the chimney with care this year. Yes, everyone got at least some of their obligatory gifts, but the stocking stuffers, the little things, are only from MY heart this year. I thought I would share them with you because each of them was virtually free. All they cost was a little bit of time, and love from me:
  • Hand knitted mittens and matching head bands
  • Free car wash and vacuum, by little ol' me
  • A summer of lawn mowing in Grandmas front yard
  • Hand made throw pillows to match your bedroom
  • Movie night, at home, your choice of movie, I promise!
  • A new handmade blanket out of the softest of fleece
  • Homemade cookies and fudge for some treats
  • Fresh spiced cider as a great hostess gift
  • A heritage tradition of homemade rice dish
  • Jams, Jellies and canned fruit galore
All of these made without a trip to the store. See the true spirit of giving is really made from love.


No comments:

Post a Comment