Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Diet and Exercise Excuses During the Holiday Season

As I sit here drinking egg nog in my morning coffee I am sure that my fat cells are happily plumping full for the long winter. Of course I'm not a bear, but I certainly feel like I could hibernate for a few months. It's a frosty winter morning, and the roads appear too icy for my morning run, not to mention that some recent stitches incurred on my leg and I was told, "no exercise" for the next two weeks! I certainly don't need one more excuse to be lazy. The last few weeks have consumed my time with final exams, long hours of work, Christmas shopping, holiday parties, baking holiday cookies, and eating far too much! Excuses, excuses, excuses! Do you ever feel like this?
How do we beat the holiday bulge regardless of our valid excuses? First of all, cut yourself some slack! A few holiday parties, and extra pieces of fudge are not going to plump your fat cells. Besides, the holidays are meant to be joyful, and if we deny ourselves of every treat and feel guilty for getting out of our normal routine we may only become resentful of our healthy lifestyle.
Here are some tips:
  • Focus on clean healthy eating at all other meals during the holidays
  • Bring fruit to a holiday party accompanied by a yummy dip. You will be amazed how quickly this gets eaten up. Guests will all appreciate the sweet healthy choice along with the fudge!
  • Don't forget to drink lots of water. This will help to flush out your system and you will stay hydrated.
  • Try different forms of exercise that may be different from your normal routine. Ex: a brisk evening walk with friends to look at holiday lights.
  • Try to schedule a family activity over Christmas break. Our family enjoys snow skiing each year.
  • Enjoy the holidays, focus on your health when you can, and realize this is a minor hiccup in your routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment