Monday, November 21, 2011

Don't Worry, Be Happy

Since about 1988, when the words of Bobby McFerrin start dancing through my head I know it has been one of those days and its time to readjust my thinking! A friendly little reminder just in case you forgot the words....
"Here's a little song I wrote, You might want to sing it note for note, Don't worry, Be happy, In every life we have some trouble, When you worry you make it double, Don't worry, Be happy, Don't worry, Be happy now!"......
If you are old enough to remember the quirky little song, I promise you probably will crack a smile at the thought of those words and the snappy little tune to go along with it.

Why bring up Bobby McFerrin and his famous "Don't Worry, Be Happy" song?  Perhaps it was a sweet dear friend that used to sing it to me, that reminds me of childish worries. Those worries I had seemed insurmountable, and at the time, I felt great sadness. Of course I managed to carry on, but it was the encouragement of my friend that showed me that my worries were really nothing at all, and when I stepped away and viewed them from a different perspective they seemed like only a minor speed bump. So, when you hit speed bumps in life, and your worries seem insurmountable, step away, take a look, and find a different way to push on through. The worries may even go away when you look at them differently.

During the holiday season I thought it was appropriate to share these sentiments. At a time when we are supposed to be the most giving and thankful, is one of the most common times to cause stress and worries within families. Put it is perspective and make your own little jingle.... "When your turkey don't get done in time, then you know it's time to make a rhyme, Don't Worry, Be Happy! ..... When your family shows up late, you know its time, don't hesitate, Don't Worry, Be Happy!.... Your children want a pet raccoon, or a simple flight to the moon, ... Grandma keep your dentures in, and lock the dog in its new bin.... you get the gist, now make your own kind of twist and....Don't Worry, Be Happy!

1 comment:

  1. Well said! And now I'll be humming that song for the rest of the day :)

    ReplyDelete